Industrial Research and Consultancy Centre (IRCC), Sudan
IRCC is an R&D and consultancy centre that was established with the assistance of United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and is affiliated with the Ministry of Industry, Government of Sudan. The research staff of the Centre includes, 29 associate professors, 17 assistant professors, 25 researchers, 77 assistant researchers, and 44 technicians.
The Centre is conducting research on the following lines: Innovation in Agro-industries; Competitiveness of Sudanese Industries; Renewable and Sustainable Resources; Indigenous Knowledge and Rural Industries; Entrepreneurial Development; Improving efficiency of Industrial Process; and Modern Science Application. The scope of services provided by IRCC includes: Research & Development; Consultancy; Quality Assurance; and Training.
The laboratory facilities at IRCC include a tannery, chemical pilot plant, quality control and testing laboratory, advanced industrial information centre, physical and mechanical laboratory, and engineering design laboratory. IRCC has six specialized R&D departments: Food Industries Research Department; Leather Research & Technology Centre; Chemical Industries Research Department; Industry Economies Research Department (IERD); Industrial Information Research, Documentation and Publication Department; and Engineering Industries Research Department.
IRCC has expertise in Food industry and Quality Assurance; Chemical Industry; Engineering Industry; Leather Goods Design and Manufacturing; and Feasibility Studies and Project Evaluation. Moreover, the Centre provides consultation services in industrial planning; production management; and product design and development.
IRCC is willing to initiate research collaborations in the following areas: processing and storage of fruits and vegetables; production of magnesium chloride; using antifungal lactic acid bacteria for food preservation; using starch for biodegradable polymers; natural oils and antioxidants; extraction of bioactive substance from hibiscus sabdariff, etc. IRCC is also looking to set-up an Information Technology Centre in Sudan.
Collaboration with other Centres
- Tanzania Industrial Research and Development Organization (TIRDO), Tanzania: IRCC and TIRDO are collaborating in leather and textile research.
- International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS), Pakistan: IRCC has pledged to conduct joint research projects in collaboration with ICCBS.
- Partnership with other Centers of Excellence: During COMSATS’ 20th and 21st Coordinating Council meetings, IRCC has pledged to have research partnership in multiple areas with other Centres of Excellence of COMSATS.
- 2nd Meeting of COMSATS’ International Thematic Research Group (ITRG) on ‘Agriculture, Food Security, and Biotechnology’
- 2nd International Conference on Agriculture, Food Security, and Biotechnology, Khartoum, Sudan
- COMSATS-ISESCO Workshop on Repair and Maintenance of Scientific, Engineering Equipment Inaugurated in Khartoum
- Executive Director’s Visit to COMSATS’ Centre of Excellence in Sudan